Enabling debug breaks on |> operators.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:31 AM
Hi Don! This is bryanedds from the Twitter discussion.

I like the idea of suggesting turning |> into sequence points so that the debugger can land on inside chains of them. That way the intermediate results of |> chains can be visualized. However, I have a couple of questions before I feel competent to recommend it.

What type of performance cost would it have? Will it translate to a function call in Release mode and / or Debug mode? If so, will it get jitted away in Release and / or Debug mode?

And if we're able to break on |>s, then how will the Visual Studio debugger present the intermediate results to us? Will it be a specially-named variable?

Currently, I rarely use |>s because of their opaqueness in the debugger, and instead have to resort to series of var names that end with more and more prime symbols. The latter is error-prone, and I'd like to be able to use |>s more confidently in my code.

Cheers!
Coordinator
May 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Hi Bryan

Please take a look at PR: https://visualfsharp.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/soloman817/fsharptools/contribution/6736

This is about enabling debug breaks in Quotations, perhaps you or someone else would be interested in using it as the starting point for a the change you have suggested.

I think the suggestion is a great one and would improve the lives of many F# developers, I would be interested in seeing what you and the community come up with.

Kevin